Check out this list of awards given at the Ogallala Quilt Festival, and you will see why a large number of winners leave happy and ready to enter again the next year. Some of these awards are unique to the OQS Festival.
• Best of Show: This prestigious award features a cash prize of $750 and is named by the show judge.
• Junior Best of Show: This prestigious award features a cash prize of $350 and is named by the show judge.
• First, Second, Third, and Honorable Mention in each category: The first three are cash prizes and all are selected by the show judge. $50, $25, $15. Ribbons: blue – 1st, red – 2nd, green – 3rd, yellow – HM.
￼￼• Cotton Boll Awards: The prizes for these six awards are 14K gold and white quartz cotton boll charms and are given for Best Original Design, Best Use of Color, Hand Quilting, Machine Quilting: Stationary, Track-Mounted, and Computer-Guided. Design and Color awards are given to the person who made the quilt and the awards for Hand Quilting and Machine Quilting are given to the person who did the quilting. The show judge selects these winners. Each charm is valued at approximately $185.
• Fat Quarter and Silver Dollar Awards: All of these twenty to twenty-five awards are selected by a merchant/sponsor from an assigned group of quilts. The prize consists of fifty silver/gold dollars wrapped in a fat quarter of fabric.
• Featured Teacher Award: The featured teacher selects the quilt he/she likes best and awards a signed copy of one of his/her books to the winner. Valued at approximately $35.
• Judge’s Choice Award: After judging all the quilts and naming the other places and awards, the judge picks his/her personal favorite, and the quiltmaker receives a cash prize of $100.
• Ogallala Challenge Pass Time Fabrics Award: This award of $100 vendor/advertiser bucks is granted to the winner of the Ogallala Challenge and is named by the judge.
• People’s Choice Award: This is your chance to vote on the quilt you like best, and that quiltmaker receives a cash prize of $100 awarded at the close of the show.
Money for the places in each category comes from entry fees paid by those entering quilts. All other prizes are donated by sponsors. Be sure to notice who gives that prize money and tell them we greatly appreciate their participation.
The Board of Directors of the Ogallala Quilter’s Society is always looking for more sponsors to help reward the work of quilters. If you would like to be a sponsor or you know someone who would, please contact us.